The Fortrose & Rosemarkie Image Library
No Contributor Year: 2014New Picture
FORTROSE CATHEDRAL: - George Henry Hutton (d. 1827), Hutton's only son, rose from the rank of second lieutenant in the royal artillery in 1777 to that of lieutenant-general in 1821. He distinguished himself in active service under Sir Charles Grey in the West Indies in 1794, and held commands in Ireland from 1803 till 1811. He was deeply interested in Scottish archæology, and, with a view to compiling a 'Monasticon Scotise,' made valuable collections of antiquarian drawings (since dispersed) and of early ecclesiastical documents (now in the Advocates' Library, Edinburgh). He was a F.S.A., and was created LL.D. of Aberdeen University, where he founded in 1801 thirteen bursaries and a prize. He died at Moate, near Athlone, on 28 June 1827. He married twice (Gent. Mag. 1827, pt. ii. p. 561). His son Henry by his second marriage was rector of St. Paul's, Covent Garden, from 1848 till his death on 23 June 1863 at the age of fifty-four (ib. 1863, pt. ii. pp. 243-360).
Picture added on 30 March 2014 at 18:10